- Published: Monday, 19 October 2015 21:45
North Coast 500 - Scotland's Answer to Route 66?
Scotland's recently launched North Coast 500 Route is said to be our answer to America's Route 66. A big statement from such a small country but from the feedback we've been receiving from clients and chat online we'd say it deserves every bit of recognition.
The route showcases some of Scotland's best kept secrets. Places where many may miss if they choose only to visit popular tourist spots such as Glencoe, Loch Ness and the Isle of Skye. Download the handy App and browse the interactive map. Along the way you can visit Scotland's very own fairy tale castle, explore deserted golden sandy beaches, enjoy fantastic fresh food and admire the breath taking scenery.
Having completed the North Coast 500 ourselves as a family recently we're keen to let you in on our secrets and help you plan your trip. Here you can find a sample itinerary to get you started. You don't have to stick to it rigidly though. After all the beauty of an Adventure Wagons camper trip is that you have the freedom to choose and make your trip your own. Visiting the sites that interest you and waking up to the sights you chose.
- Published: Thursday, 06 August 2015 20:53
Top Tips for a Camper Van Adventure
- Pack smart and layer - the weather in Scotland is unpredictable and changeable, four seasons in one day is not uncommon!
- Pack lightly - Space is at a premium when you have to travel, cook, hang out and sleep all in a small space. Suitcases and bags with wheels generally don't fit and will get in the way! Pack soft holdall bags or backpacks.
- Bring some entertainment - our Adventure Wagon is fitted with a flip down DVD player. Bring some DVDs or buy them in a supermarket on your trip. After all you'll need something to do if it rains or in the evening if you haven't got a good country pub near by to visit!
- Plan your shopping carefully - the fridge in camper van runs on the 12V battery while the van is driving. The most efficient way to run the fridge is hooked up to mains power supply on a campsite. When running on 12V the fridge operates as a cool box and perishables will not last as long as normal. If the fridge is full it will also struggle to maintain a low temperature.
- Take your time - Don't pack too much into your itinerary. Distance up North takes longer as the roads are narrower and windy at times. Take time to enjoy the scenery and stop regularly. If you're taking things slowly, it's polite and prevents accidents to pull over and allow faster vehicles past. This is especially important on single track roads.
- Book ferry journeys in advance - Book online to ensure your holiday is not held up and there is space for you!
- Published: Wednesday, 04 February 2015 18:43
Welcome to Edinburgh!
Adventure Wagons has a convenient base where you can pick up your camper van at the beginning of your holiday.
We will be delighted to meet you and help you on your way. We can provide directions and sightseeing information as well as GPS sat nav available.
- Published: Wednesday, 04 February 2015 17:26
Welcome to Adventure Wagons!
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read our new blog!
First I thought I'd talk a bit about Adventure Wagons, who we are and what we've done to create Adventure Wagons. Then in the future you can expect to find posts ranging from trip reports, advice for camping in an Adventure Wagon, suggestions for where to visit and things I hope Adventurers like me will find interesting!
Adventure Wagons is a young business, started in 2014 as a result of many a family dinner spent debating Dragon's Den style ideas between myself (Nikki), my sister Katie and her partner Gary. Gary being a mechanic has always been in to cars, particularly VWs. He's seen a lot of camper vans come through the garage where he works and became interested in their potential as a great base for adventures in Scotland and beyond. Personally I've always loved exploring the great outdoors and when Gary came to me with a potential van I didn't take much persuasion to get on board with the new family business.
- Published: Saturday, 28 March 2015 17:58
Booking Camper Hire Online with Adventure Wagons
Here at Adventure Wagons HQ we've had a busy week developing our online booking tool to allow you to book your holiday online with a minimum of fuss! Wherever you are in the world and no matter the time zone you can book and pay using our simple step by step booking tool at any time of the day.
All you need to do is click 'Book Now' on any page of the Adventure Wagons site. You'll see the icon to the left of the screen just above our current weather forecast. The link then takes you to an up to date availability calendar which is also preloaded with our hire rates so you can see the final cost right there and then. Select the number of nights you want to stay, tell us who's coming and any extras you want to add and voila our booking tool does the rest! The tool is programmed with our special offers and will make sure you receive the best deal when you stay for a week or more. It even takes your 25% booking deposit securely by PayPal and blocks your holiday off in our calendar.
We hope this new addition to our site simplifies the booking process for our clients and lets you get on with the fun bit which is planning your camper van adventure in Scotland! With so many things to think about when planning your road trip there's no need to wait til the next morning for an email back when all you want to do is book your holiday at 1am in the morning!
Don't worry though, if you have any questions you can still contact us for a quote or to discuss special requests. We'll also always be on hand to provide you with helpful travel and itinerary advice to make sure you visit all the best places in Scotland.
Happy travel planning!